Saturday, June 28, 2008

Peace has come




It is impossible to fathom how fast this last leg of the journey went. The nurse was here this morning at 10-ish, was planning on coming back around 2 pm to check on Jack. New pain meds were ordered and a friend went to pick them up at noon.. And at 12:55-ish, Jack took his last breath on this earth.
There were two prayers answered this morning. I had prayed to be present when he died. The friend "Jack sitting" saw how agitated he got when I kissed him goodbye before heading to a soccer practice. She called while I was in route and said that I should get back asap. And, when she told Jack I was coming back, he settled down. He knew.
I was there and a prayer was answered. Younger son, Steve, said he wanted to be present, too. He had just come by to check on Jack and then head over to our cabin. I come down from upstairs to update them, and went back up to see Jack gasping. I ran back downstairs and told them to come up with me as I think he's going to die now. And he did, taking his last breath with us there.
Prayer #2 answered.I am in that absolutely stunned space, mixed with the hyperkinetic energy to remove all medically related items from the bedroom. Now. No, actually, throw it all out the window. No, through a window. I won't, but that energy is so here.
And I need to go sit with him for some time, although I thought it would have been longer, like forever. Then, I have to call to have his earthly temple for his soul removed later this afternoon.
Then...whatever comes next.
To the here and now,
Tally
Ron's note: Will post more details as they materialize.
Ron for Tally

9 comments:

Laura said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. He was a great man, and a great teacher. I loved him dearly and it is so sad to see him go.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Reynolds was my PE teacher once back at Maywood. I feel really grieved to hear that he's passed... He was such an amazing teacher.

Anonymous said...

I attended maywood middle school 22 years ago. I have often thought about "Mr. and Mrs. Reynolds" They always had bright smiling faces. My 13 year old son now attends maywood and that is how I heard about the sad news. Mr. Reynolds was very special and touched many lives. I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I know it must feel good in your heart to know how much he meant to so many people.

Anonymous said...

I was mainy times blessed to be a student of Mr. Reynolds, 2 years of my PE time was spent having fun with him and playing sports that he loved to jump in and play with us. If we couldnt do something he would always happily come out and help us. He was an amazing man and a great teacher. It is sad to hear that he has passed and he will not be forgotten by Maywood staff and former students.

MPainter said...

Jack was a friend for mine from the umpiring world and I am so sorry to hear of his passing. I was one of the lucky (chosen) few to be with him in Yakima in late May and I am so happy that Bill was able to work his magic and make sure that Jack was able to join us on the field one last time. I think I can speak for all of us in Yakima who feel that in many ways the final men's softball event was an extraordinary and life changing event for all of us. Aside from Yakima I want Ms. Reynolds (I don't know you but I hope I can someday meet you and call you Tally) to know that I have never witnessed the courage and honesty demonstrated by you over the past year as you have chronicled your journey and circulated it to friends and family. I was not an intended recipient of those messages but I felt priveleged to be part of them. I shared my observations about you with Jack in Yakima and he validated your strength and the obvious love that you and he share. Tally, please know that all of us in the officiating world offer heartfelt condolences and genuine thanks for opening up your experiences, emotions, and life to friends, family, and strangers. Life experiences are infrequent. I will never forget what you have done for me as I tracked Jack's journey. Thank you. I know Jack will rest in peace knowing that you have enduring love for him and that you bared your soul so that all of us could be part of such a powerful experience.

Anonymous said...

May Jack rest in the peace and healing that only the Lord can provide. We mourn the loss of a man who touched so many people and was truly a legend in the sport of wrestling. It was our honor to know him, to call him our friend, and to emulate his professionalism.

chawklover51 said...

Mr. Reynolds has been touching peoples lives for years. He was my PE teacher in 1988, and i will never forget that smile. He was such a nice teacher, and a great sense of humor. He would tell all of us students, "I don't want to see any of the 3 B's".. I am sure Mrs Reynolds remembered what thes are! :) In the last 20 years, i have never forgot either of you, and i am so sad to hear this news. Mrs. R, you are in my thoughts and prayers..... Kammy Metzger

Unknown said...

You will all be in our prayers. Mr Reynolds was the P.E. Teacher for my son (33 now) Wes, my grandson Matt, and my son Cody in his last year at Maywood. My family has only great memories of Mr Reynolds, he was the kind of teacher who was always positive in his teaching. He will be missed by all who knew him,
May God bless you,

Anonymous said...

Well said.